View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #14
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I wonder if they if you can get the software seperately - if there is anything specific. I would assume that most of all the aviation functions is just in the subscription files themselves

The thing is that EFB's (Electronic Flight Bags) are currently pretty expensive, and are usually based on laptops, tablet PC's or in some cases specialized hardware. They are used at a number of airlines and they have redundancy requirements. One of the simplest systems is to have a printer available to print out the approach plates. In this realm the systems have to certified for use and the parameters are numerous and comprehensive. Keeping these systems and the subscription service up to date is very expensive for these operators. The data is usually supplied by Jeppesen - a private business (not affiliated with any government).

The information that is being displayed on the eFlybook is published by a government agency (NOS) and pretty much is in the public domain. The format is not as good or as convenient as Jeppesen but is servicable and is an approved source.

It appears that the eFlybook is geared more towards the General Aviation Marketplace - at least initially. That is not to say that it could be certified for commercial use, typically that is a very expensive process that requires specific backup/contingency capabilties that are built into the unit.

One of my intended purposes of the iLiad is specifically what was described in the eFlyBook review/introduction and this was way before I saw this reference.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote