View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #37
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
That is exactly the point. Page numbers are not absolute and they are completely useless in this specific situation. If you have a compendium and read it with font type Times Roman, size 11 an artikel can start on pag 234. You'll have to memorize this number if you want to go back to it. If I read the same book with Verdana size 10 I can find the same artikel on page 187. And if you still remember after a few days the artikel is on page 234, it won't be there if you were reading another book in between under different licht conditions and changed the font size. And it is even worse because no MobiReader version in the world is capable to find the exact spot again if you go forwards and backwards. Even if you use fixed fonts and fixed sizes.
Absolute page numbers embededd in markup, page numbers based on fixed amount of text/bytes or percentages like I mentioned above can be used for reference while page numbers based on rendered pages would be helpful only to determine the lenght of the text. I think that some kind of page numbers in order to determine the lenght of the text is what I, as a lesiure reader, misses the most.

Last edited by Prospect; 07-30-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: typo
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote