View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
I think book DRM is simply at an earlier stage than music DRM. To me "DRM is going strong in ebooks", and similar, are hollow words, because I know of resources like Project Gutenberg. I think it's just a matter of time now.
Public domain has nothing to do with DRM. In fact, is it not only perfectly legal but routine to publish a public domain book, charge a price for it, and slap some DRM on it. Sony, B&N, Amazon et al all sell PD books with DRM, even though the same materials are available for free and without DRM elsewhere.

In addition, while many great books are in public domain, and Google's scan project will make a huge number of PD books available (albeit poorly proofread / OCR'ed, at the moment), almost nothing published after 1923 is in public domain.

When the "Harry Potter" series is legally available in a non-DRM form, then I think you can say that "DRM for ebooks has lost."
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote