View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #39
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I took out my postage scale and ruler to compare specs between the Samsung Galaxy S5 2014, the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2013 and the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 2013 and here they are (covers included):

S5: weight = 6.4 oz.; device size = 5.5 x 3 inches; screen size = 4.25 x 2.5 inches
PW: weight = 11.8 oz.; device size = 6.6 x 4.6 inches; screen size = 4.8 x 3.5 inches
HDX: weight = 1 lb. - 6 oz.; device size = 7 x 4.8 inches; screen size = 5.7 x 3.6 inches

I use the Kindle for Samsung App on the Samsung Galaxy S5, NOT the Kindle Android App which is not even close to the first one in clarity and features. Neither of those apps offer Goodreads.

So far as the fonts go for those I use, the Paperwhite has black on white with the largest but thinnest font and has no glare in bright sun, the HDX has white on black with the thickest font but a little blurred at the edges with some glare in bright sun, the S5 has the same size font as the HDX but it is more clear but slightly less bright with less glare than the HDX in bright sun but still more glare than the PW.

In portrait mode the S5 fits as many words as the PW but fits 2 or 3 words less than the HDX.

Thus, there is no question that, if portability and weight are factors, the S5 makes both the PW and HDX OBSOLETE as a reading device. Plus, the PW is still better than the HDX for most reading except in dim light where the HDX and S5 are required. For playing music in the background only the S5 and HDX qualify. However, I have noticed some Android apps ONLY work on the S5 and others only work on the HDX. For example, my favorite chess program, Shredder, which adjusts its ELO to user results, ONLY works on the S5 and NOT on the HDX. However, the Grace Internet Radio Management App (I own half a dozen of those radios) only works on the HDX and not on the S5.

Plus, after all of that, only the S5 can keep a constant flow of text messages and telephone calls coming and going between my great grandkids and me. Neither the PW nor HDX can do that.

The best option is to own all three devices to be used where each is most suitable.

Sometime in the near future the Apple iPhone 6 will be released and may beat the Samsung Galaxy S5 in weight and size. Plus, the Amazon Smart Phone may be released next October and may make the Apple and Samsung phone products obsolete as well. some folks are brand loyalists and will stick to their favorite brand no matter what the statistics show.

It should be noted that I purchased the S5 from Amazon, NOT ATT. However, it came ATT branded. Thus, Amazon is still getting all my purchases.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-25-2014 at 12:34 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote