View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #68
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Unfortunately I don't think all PW lights strength are the same. I read at 8 in the indoor lighting and 4 in the dark. 10 is a little too bright but anything above it is just way too bright for me.
Plus don't forget eyes. You should know that yourself. Beeing light sensitive makes you perceive light different. If someone is night blind for instance, there is nothing you can do about it. Just the way it is.

As for your reading light level: Give it some time, maybe a week or two, and you might get tired of messing with the light every time you go different places. What works for me is to simply put it at the level that is good for dark room / night reading, and never touch it again no matter where I read. For me it is 12 at the moment. When I got the PW brand new I had it around 5. I was afraid that too bright would tire my eyes out too fast so I set it as dark as possible and still be able to read with a small font. The display is so great, that reading it a bit brighter does not wear your eyes out as other (e.g. lcd) screens might. So I experimented, and now rather than set it to as dark as possible I changed my mindset to set it to as bright as possible, just before it appears too bright. YMMV

And here is some fun facts about your eyes, which I think has a lot to do why everybody has their own personal view of the world. Since it might be boring to some, and a bit too technical, definately a little bit off-topic I will just encase it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
The retina itself IS part of your brain. There is a lot (and I mean a lot) of information processing going on including pattern recognition. The "data" that goes through your optic nerve is not simply a "image sensor output", it is much more than that. In the same sense it is also much less. If you think computers (easier to grasp the analogy) the compression rate from rare input to the data that gets send through the optic nerve is roughly in the order of at least 10000:1. This is just a rough guesstimate as researching the retina is far from beeing fully understood - the real number is possibly much higher. Compression is applied with different priorities throughout the "picture". For example in the middle you have the highest resolution, in your periphal vision you are mostly sensitive to (quick) motion and not much else. In the dark the color information gets filtered out in favor of shape and contrast detection. Most of this processing is done in the retina with its 5 layers of neurons. Wow, 5 layers, and it is not simply forward fed - goes forward and back, can skip layers and self-feedback. In short, even if those numbers might not impress you by itself, there is a lot going on in the retina that we are far from even grasping to understand. Even less to duplicate or simulate it in a computer. Best to my knowledge there is only specialized fractal image compression that comes close to near loss-less 10000:1 compression rates. Even the theory for those algorithms is far beyond my comprehension level. It certainly does not work in real-time, the eye does though. This is not to say that "seeing" ends in the eye - the information sent through the optic nerve still has to be further processed, decompressed, "overlayed" with the other eye, and so on ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote