View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Staz
Staz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS-505 vs. Amazon Kindle for Technical documents

Hi there.

I have been intrigued by mobile ebook readers ever since I heard about the Amazon Kindle (the first one). I have finally saved some money together and am very eager to purchase one! After a lot of research I have narrowed my choice down to the Sony PRS-505 and the Amazon Kindle.

I am a university student studying for a degree in computer science. I often need to read technical books/manuals (usually in pdf or chm format) such as the O'reilly series or Cisco routing books. I understand that the iRex solutions (such as the Iliad) are best suited for this, but to be honest they are far too expensive for me.

I am happy to convert my books and I know there is an abundance of software out there to do so. Unfortunately there is a lack of photos showing the end results of converting technical documents for the various ebook reading devices. I would love to see some! Perhaps they could be added to the wiki?

So which of the two devices do you think would be better for me? Which have you had the most success converting pdf/chm for? I do of course intend to read novels on my ebook reader too, but I'm sure that none of them will have any trouble with this

Thanks very much.
Ben
Staz is offline   Reply With Quote