View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #49
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Hm - four things I noticed in the discussion were
- The screen doesn't need to be cracked for the device to be flawed. If there's a manufacturing process error (say, it was inserted at a slightly odd angle for whatever reason), it could have been under tension and just broke after a while under normal use.
- "Mängelgewährleistung" (leo.org claims it is 'warrant of merchantibility') therefore would be of relevance as long as the above possibility cannot be excluded by actual proof (which I see hardly possible).
- I might be wrong about that, but afaik Mängelgewährleistung regulations do not apply to exported goods sold to non EU customers.
- Warranty afaik is a purely voluntary thing offered by manufacturers, and therefore the conditions are completely theirs to choose. If they exclude defects manifesting in the hand of someone wearing red shoe laces, that would be perfectly in their right (though not necessarily in their interest - here we get to "Kulanz" - which Onyx could show) to specify.

W.r.t. rebuying the device:
I'm quite happy with mine - and right now I would buy it again if mine broke (though not sure whether I would under the trauma of an early demise of it...).

But coming from Iliad (v1 had a very serious stability issue), where one had the option to buy a reinforced bag protecting the screen (the front had a hard plate woven into it ), I also am wary of the (comparatively) flimsy cover protection.
Hence my product proposal: If there were some cover protecting the M92 from torsion (e.g. in tightly packed knapsacks), I'd probably be the first to buy it.

Last edited by kodomo; 03-25-2012 at 10:28 AM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote