View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
ignis
ignis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
In order to help someone make their decision it is not really helpfull to only look at what you have in your corner of the world but what they have in their corner of the world. And here in Europe we have epub, Sony, Pocketbook and the one or other company more. I do not see the wisdom in shouting Kindle and Nook from every roof top, when there is no Kindle or Nook around here. Most students and average people find it expensive to ship their stuff around the world in case there is need to do so.
Actually, I can't get a Sony Reader officially in Norway. There is an information page on the Norwegian Sony website, but no option to buy it. There is one Sony Store in my city, but they told me they don't and won't carry any Sony Readers. A few local internet shops have them listed, but it's always a to-order item. Then there's the price. The cheapest PRS-650 I could find is ~$426. And buying it from abroad would be even more expensive.

In Kindle's case, I have access to most of Amazon's ebooks. Some titles are not available, often ebooks are a lot more expensive than hardcovers, and it takes some emailing the authors and/or publishers to get it fixed.

As far as I know, no Norwegian library offers ebook loans, and when there is an ebook version of some book available, it can be downloaded in various formats without DRM. There is only one Norwegian ebook shop, and while it does use Adobe ePubs, the selection of books is quite abysmal, and whatever books it has that I would like to buy are almost always available at Amazon for much less.

All in all, it seems that Kindle is the only viable option for me at the moment. Yes, I hate its keyboard and lack of ePub support, but given the alternative, I think I won't have any trouble adjusting to those disadvantages.

Last edited by ignis; 02-12-2011 at 07:46 PM.
ignis is offline   Reply With Quote