View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #409
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Oh, really? Next time you go bashing around, check your facts first.
Source
Source
Sorry, but I'd take those numbers with a huge grain of salt.

First off, those are app crashes, not OS crashes. While it's extremely difficult to bring down either Android or iOs, I have personally had it happen on all my Android devices (reboots, freezes, lock-ups so bad I had to remove the battery, etc), so I know they do happen. My experience with iOS is that it happens less (once to me), but I don't have an iphone and have fewer iOS devices in the family, so my data points are fewer.

Apps, on the other hand, are easy to have crash. Code poorly. Don't follow developer guidelines. Practice poor memory management. Make undocumented UI calls.

Second, the numbers are only for apps that subscribe to the Crittercism service. They only show the normalized data set of overall app crashes. How many apps are reporting for each OS? If fewer reporting apps are available on one OS compared to the other, one much downloaded but buggy app could skew the results. No breakdown for crash reasons per OS (I consider that a huge fail in statistical analysis). Jailbroken or rooted devices are not broken out. How about the average number of people who turn off the crash reporting function in the app by OS vs number of app downloads (personally, I'd turn it off no matter which OS I was using).

All this report shows is that more Crittercism enabled apps crash on iOS than on Android for unknown reasons.

Hmmm...Crittercism requires the use of their own libraries when developing apps for either OS.
Hmmm...Crittercism is partially funded by Google.
Could this be the next round in the war between TEH GREAT EVUUULLSS???????
Can MicroSoft save the Day?????
And what of RIM, can it return from the grave????

Tune in tomorrow for another episode of "The OSes of Our Lives"
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote