View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #95
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
An ID that can be traced back to the buyer, yes--that means that ultimately your personal account information is looked at and released to whoever accuses you of being a pirate.

I am not in the habit of loaning my books to anyone. But mistakes can be made in computerized systems. Or I might lose my e-reader, or my backup drive. Or if I do make a copy of a book for someone, that other person might make a copy for a friend, who makes a copy for a friend, who makes a copy for a friend ... and someone down the chain might either upload it or lose his e-reader, and then what? I'm going to be targeted for making my single copy?

What about a library book? Suppose the watermark shows the uploaded book came from your public library. Is the library going to have to release records on borrowers? Suppose you're one of the borrowers?
Yes, that's a distinct AND bothersome possibility. However, as stated earlier, it's exactly the same with fullscale encryption based DRMs.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote