View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
erikk
Enthusiast
erikk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
PRS-505 Lost!! Buy 300, 600, Kindle or 505? have a lot LRF/LRX files

OK so I LOVED my PRS-505 and lost it recently. Now I find I can't even buy the PRS-505 anymore (well at least not from Sony) and the new model is basically the same price. So I have to decide what to buy to replace my beloved PRS-505.

I would buy the kindle first choice since I like the wireless book downloads and I have more confidence that Amazon will survive as an ebook supplier than Sony (plus they'll have a larger library). My current library is the only concern here and I'll get into that below.

I'd buy the 300 second if it was basically identical to the 505 with only the lack of memory card (basically only concerned if the screen is as good). I like the price and to be honest I never used any advanced features on the 505 and if the 300 is the same just minus the extra bells and whistles (MP3 meh); I just read books.

I'd buy the 600 if it's even only just as good as the 505 in terms of the screen and the kindle and 300 weren't an option. The extra features are just nice bells and whistles. I'm not loving the fact that people are mentioning the screen and glare, I do do a lot of reading in less than ideal lighting conditions and am concerned it'd bug me. If people weren't mentioning that issue I'd probably have just gotten the 600 already.

I would buy the 505 again because I know I love it but first I'd have to find one in a 3rd party store and the ones I've found with quick searches are basically the same price as the newer 600 and why not get the newer unit if it's even only just as good as the 505 with some nice extra bells and whistles (even if I'd probably not use them; who knows maybe at some point I'd want to).

So here's the kicker and the dilemna. I have a ton of LRF files, a ton of unlocked LIT files, some LRX I bought from the Sony store and random other formats found online (PDF, TXT, etc). Just how hard is it to put those on the Kindle? Can you even put a locked Sony LRX file on the kindle? I could live without the few LRX files I have, if there was a compelling argument but it's something to consider. But I definitely don't want to have to give up the LIT, etc files I have.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote