Thread: E-book prices
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #24
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Perhaps the best things in life aren't all free, but in this new digital age some of the best things are cheap.
I've had the same experience this year. Pride and Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables (and the followups) and the entire Dickens library alone, all my favorite books, being for free were the first e-books I downloaded. There are amazing classics to be had alone from there, many that I have not yet explored, but plan to.

But yes, I discovered that the inexpensive / free reads I had this year were very enjoyable to me. I bought every one of Shayne Parkinson's books from Smashwords, and bought a few romance novels for 99 c from DANL and Carina Press, and I have enjoyed the ones I've read so far.

I occasionally hear the argument that if one can afford an e-reader they should really not complain about expensive e-books, or be picky about how much they'll pay. That doesn't really make sense to me. Some people save up for months to get that e-reader, or get it as a gift. My e-readers were bought entirely with Christmas and Birthday money. So I try to be as practical and frugal as I can.

Having one expensive thing does not mean that suddenly I can afford hundreds of expensive things. It's like our family buying a nice tv, but not buying cable. etc...

Last edited by spindlegirl; 08-22-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: tried to make my post a bit shorter. I hate tl:dr
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote