View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
thetaoofrecovery
thetaoofrecovery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Highlights and Notes Revisited

I really hope that compiling/viewing/exporting notes from ebooks on the Kindle Fire is not as complicated as it seems to be…

Initially I accepted the solution that Amazon compiled my highlights/notes for me at the website kindle.amazon.com under “My Highlights”. However, I recently discovered that this has some limitations when I received this notice:

For some books the publisher allows only a limited percentage of a book to be "clipped" and stored separately from the main body of the book, as normally happens when you add a highlight. If you exceed this limit then you will see fewer highlights on this website than you actually marked on your Kindle. Popular Highlights are not counted towards this clipping limit.

So I am back to square one. I would like to be able to view/export/compile my highlights and notes outside of the “Marks and Notes” section on the Fire itself.

I am aware that the highlights are stored in one of the associated book files. However, as I have collected more books, figuring out which file is associated with which book is more difficult as the filenames are convoluted (eg. txls0907wdecsxcdevse1323s3d.mobi) and next to impossible to associate with a particular book. If the filenames were the book title, for example, I might try to figure out how to export the information from the particular file itself – but again, the naming convention seems to make this far too cumbersome.

Does anyone know if there is a better ebook reader that can be sideloaded/installed which creates an annotated companion file like expub does for pdfs? Any other suggestions on how to compile/review highlights and notes would be much appreciated.
thetaoofrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote