View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #47
jeanph01
jeanph01 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
does kindle javascript engine support web workers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle3zeng View Post
There are a few options now:
1) patch libwebkit, that's in another thread
2) patch readability, it's basically what this thread is about

For me, I went for option 2. and there is what I did:
1) Jailbreak your kindle, and install usbnetworking
2) download my attachment in post #43
3) unzip the attachment, you'll get two files: readability_min_utf16.js and readability_min_utf16.css
4) replace the files under /usr/share/browserd/readability in your kindle with these two files. To do this, you can scp files to the destination, you can't just plugin your kindle via USB, and that's why you need to jailbreak and usbnetworking

After you've done above steps, you'll see a menu as shown in my post #43, when you press "menu" -> "Article Mode", you can choose to enter the original "Article mode" by "Readability" or to fix the links to make them open in the same window by "Fix Targets".

The advantage with this method is that it's pretty safe, only a few lines of javascript code addition. The disadvantage is that you have an additional layer of menu, which means more key presses and mouse movements, and that's is not a nice experience on kindle. And these fixed targets do not remain to be fixed after you reload the page, as pointed out by liuto.
for the liuto problem maybe with a js web worker in the background when could launch a body.load event after each reload ?... just thinking about the possibiliy of fixing the kindle javascript engine could offer...
jeanph01 is offline   Reply With Quote