View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Ah, I thought you biggest problem with smart phones was that most have smaller screens (my touch has a 2.8" screen).
My cell phone is a low end Nokia with an even smaller screen. But I don't care, as all I want it to do is place and receive calls. Other functions are handled by my PDA.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if android is put on a device that is the size of an iphone or the Touch HD. I would be surprised however if said device was not also a cell phone. As far as I know, Google is not really interested in pursuing the PDA market as most analysts believe it is dying. Maybe a PMP... anything else starts requiring a more full featured OS.
It doesn't matter if Google is interested. The OS is modular and open source, and and you can use the parts that fit what you want your device to do. A hardware manufacturer could put it on a device that wasn't a cell phone. The question is whether any will.

There might be life in the PDA market if a manufacturer actually tried to address it, instead of all rushing off to build smartphones.

Whether the PDA market is dying is a different question. What is the Apple Touch? And there are still Windows Mobile based models that aren't also cellphones, like the HP 210.

Quote:
As for me, if it has a 3.5"-4" screen (i.e., still small enough to fit in my shirt pocket), I very much would prefer it to have phone capabilities. I would buy an IPhone if ATT didn't charge so darn much for service...
As I said, I already have a cell phone that does what I require. I wouldn't mind a PDA type device with a larger screen. It wouldn't fit in a shirt pocket (or a pants pocket in most cases), but I don't carry mine there now.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote