View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Funny. I wonder how phones, Blackberries, Sony Readers & Android devices manage to charge using stock connectors, then?

And, again, I don't have a problem with proprietary connectors - I have a problem with a proprietary cable that poses as a standard one - and costs $30 to replace.

Oh, on the subject of the Xoom - I can walk into any Radio Shack in the world and come out with a jack that will fit the Xoom's connector. It's quite standard.

Phones and e-ink readers have much smaller capacity batteries, so they don't need the 2000mA chargers. This was mentioned before. A smaller battery takes less current to charge. My Blackberry has a 1400mAh battery. The NC has a 4010mAh battery. Again, you CAN still charge your Nook Color with a standard microUSB charger, it just takes longer.

And just because you can buy something at Radio Shack that does not make it a standard. The Xoom does not support USB charging at all. You may prefer that, but I certainly don't.

Obviously with the popularity of tablets a new standard is needed. At that point everybody will be happy. But for now, I am satisfied with B&N's solution. Separate data and power ports cost more money and the NC was built to a very low price point, and another completely proprietary charger/data cable combination would be just as expensive as what they did and offer less flexibility for people like me. You may not like it, but you at least should understand that there is no perfect solution at this point.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote