View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
For me, performance is very important. As a result, I generally use dedicated devices rather than the "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" types.

Phone: I use a simple flip phone that places the mic properly (read: near my mouth). 3G slab phones use too much squelch (to reduce noise resulting from poor mic placement) and too much data compression resulting in low quality audio.

MP3 player: I use a dedicated MP3 player (from Creative) that is small and provides dedicated buttons that can be used by feel and provides a display.

Ereader: After years (~15) of using various multipurpose portable devices as ebook readers I've moved to a dedicated eInk device (Kindle 3/WiFi).

Camera: I've had little use for the camera functions in my phones and earlier Sony Clie. When I take pictures I rely on good cameras, my old Nikons in earlier epochs and a slick little Panasonic Lumix G1 and several lenses these days.

I do rely on my phone as somewhat of a multifunction device. It also serves as my watch (I haven't worn a wrist watch in some 8-9 years) and I use the alarms and calendar functions heavily. So, other than ereader functions, my phone replaces the PIM functions that I used in my old PalmOS and WinCE devices.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote