View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Two famous examples are Stephen King and John Irving*, whose settings are usually places with which both authors are very familiar.
And of course Dick Francis, who for many many years stuck to the hitherto under-appreciated horse-racing-related-crime-fiction category. When he did eventually branch out into e.g. wine-retailing-related-crime-fiction he made a point of researching things thoroughly enough to avoid embarrassing himself.

And he still generally worked in some peripheral horses, and usually had the primary location in a town with a racecourse. Partly because that was the kind of place/lifestyle/people he knew best, and partly because his core readership obviously appreciated a bit of horsyness with their crime.

Which also brings up the point that if you know a lot about something people find interesting, and you can write well about it, it's an excellent way of connecting with an audience.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote