View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusmi
Just a stupid question - I guess you might already tried it :-)

If TAO refuses to load external javax.swing packages (I guess because of licensing issues...) why not simply rename the package, e.g. to something like javax.swingswang - so that TAO will not recognize you actually try to load swing packages?
I've compiled GNU's Classpath version of Swing as javai.swing and Tao loads it. But there are more than a few issues involved in getting it happy on the Tao JVM. The other problem is that the iLiad really has a limited amount of memory. The DJVU viewer for example slows to a crawl trying to process color books as it has to constantly free up memory to continue processing.

Swing wasn't written for small memory devices. Tao may have a version with a lighter memory requirement but they would have had to invest much effort into producing it. I've concentrated on enhancing AWT as it inherently has a smaller memory foot print.

I'm porting Jarnal with an eye to keeping its memory foot print small as well. i think Jarnal will be a killer app for the iLiad. I just hope iRex can rise to the challenge and produce reliable iLiad's before someone hires a hit man to have me whacked for encouraging them to buy iLiad's.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote