View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #31
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCorso View Post
Usually you can recognize a dictionary because of a smaller number of FF in the header. In my example it's 28 (a book usually has 40). But search with a hex editor for 20 FFs lets say. After the last FF in that group, ignore the next 12 bytes (I don't know what they are), and the next 12 bytes you need to modify, each group of 4 represents a language code. In the picture attached, it is 04 09, then 09, then again 09. 09 is English, 04 09 is American English. I found in my tests with dictionaries that patching these to English I don't have problems and no more error messages: "can't open the default dictionary".

It works! I've never used a hex editor before, but that was very easy. Now I have a dictionary I can use Thank you!

EDIT: I used a German to English dictionary only, not a combined, 'both-ways' dictionary.
Also, see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75795

Last edited by Ea; 03-13-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote