View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #276
denverh
Enthusiast
denverh began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
Full screen refresh?

Hello,

I've been using Android on my Glo for some time now, and I think it's great. Many thanks to everyone who has worked on this. As far as I'm concerned there are only two minor improvements that could be made. One would be a working sleepcover, but that's pretty minor. On the other hand, some kind of full screen refresh while reading books would be nice.

I use FBReader, so I took a look at their source for the Nook, because it has some additional, useful, settings. It's not too hard to trick FBReader into thinking it's running on a Nook, which enables the special eink settings. I also located the place where it checks to see if it's time for a full refresh, based on the number of pages since the last one. The Nook has a different display controller so the screen refresh actions don't work on the Glo, but they also don't cause any problems. I thought it would be easiest to begin with a stand-alone program that could be called from within FBReader to preform the refresh as required. That approach could probably be used for other readers as well.

After quite a bit of searching I found several different examples of code for doing full screen refreshes on a Kobo reader, all for factory firmware, and all for models with 800x600 displays. I recompiled the most likely looking one for the Android environment, after fixing things up for the different screen size, and gave it a try. It didn't work. So I tried a couple others. None worked. They all fail the same way: an ioctl() with MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE returns errno 25. All other ioctl()'s appear to work fine. At least the ones that return information about the display seem to return reasonable values. At this point I'm stuck. Does anyone have any ideas that might help? I've attached a copy of the most recent attempt.

Regards,

Denver
Attached Files
File Type: gz screenupdate.tar.gz (3.2 KB, 155 views)
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote