View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Tex, you know I love you, but, as a reader, so help me God, if I received an eBook from Amazon or wherever, and the dialogue was either in bold, or some other color, not only would I spew and return the godawful thing, but I would complain to Amazon, et al, VERY LOUDLY.
Strong agree. DO NOT use bold/marked-up dialogue in a commercially sold book.

Quote:
If someone is making a book for the visually impaired, or there's some compelling reason to do this, for a SINGLE reader (person), great.
Strong agree. I would only use this for personal use only.

I probably should've put warnings or more NOTES all up in my post... but I thought it was pretty noted up already!

Quote:
May I ask, snookums, what you're thinking, in terms of use case?
Which is why I asked the question in my first post.

I'd be interested in what exactly lidao is intending to use bold dialogue for.

Complete Side Note: I have my own similar use-cases, but I don't want to derail this entire topic though. My use-cases have to do with:
  • separating the dialogue tag from the dialogue
  • technical statistics/analysis
    • How much of a book is dialogue?
  • color-coding to help visually proof OCR

Anyone who's interested, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Apparently the rule about whether the full stop goes inside or outside a closing parenthesis (when the clause in parentheses isn't the entire sentence) has changed too.
Can you show me some of this? I'd be very interested to read about this rule changing.

To my knowledge:

Logical Punctuation (punctuation sometimes outside) is used in British-style + technical writing.

American-style (punctuation always inside) is used across the board, with rare edge cases of punctuation outside (such as bibliographies or article titles).

Note: I wrote a little bit about this in my Post #16 "Punctuation rules of thumb?".

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-03-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote