View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well Zinj, so how would you compare the text reading experience on the Kyobo to your Irex?

Did you try to read any magazines on the Kyobo? Obviously the screen is much too small, but I was wondering how the colors compare to a print magazine.
The Irex eink is still easier on the eyes.

I haven't yet tried much color content reading on the Kyobo, but I'm getting a good idea of its potential with web browsing and reviewing photos in my gallery. I would have to say that the colors are muted as compared to an actual print magazine or even a traditional lcd screen and the overall look does not mimic paper as it is too iridescent. However, it is easier on the eyes than a backlit lcd and without using the frontlight I can read for days.

I think we're still years away from a paper-like full color, full motion display technology, but I think Mirasol comes closer than any of the current competition (Triton, lcd). I'm still glad I bought it. Normally I would wait for a North American marketed product with local support before purchasing, but I think mass production issues with Qualcomm's new plant may delay wide-spread adoption for at least a couple of years. I think the Kyobo will become a collector's item as it represents the very first adoption of a radically different display technology.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the locked-down OS and I don't trust myself to root it. I'm looking for someone local to give it a try. I can't wait to have a full function mini android tablet that I can read anywhere anytime (it even fits in my pocket!).
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote