Thread: Troubleshooting Kindle Paperwhite stuck on boot
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #17
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Glad/sorry to know I'm not the only one encountering weird PW behaviour. Glad, because I'm not alone in this, and sorry that you're encountering difficulty.

I've already had to restart my PW twice, to access downloads it thinks it's downloaded but hasn't. I also note that the WiFi indicator is usually only on 2 bars, where all the other household devices always have 3 bars (full signal). It is starting to look like a corruption issue.

"I just got off the phone with Will at Amazon support, Will's final (useless) conclusion was "when you format the user partition, the javascript link between the Fortran and the kernel is broken." Seriously, who hires these people?"

I'm impressed they have anyone there who remembers Fortran, whose main claim to fame back when I was an undergraduate (late 70s) was its ability to run Fourier Transforms (mathematical processes analyzing scientific data). The thought of anyone using that venerable programming language on "the latest" Kindle ... *snorts of laughter*

Also, who in their right mind uses JS prebindings? If you have enough sense to run a Linux kernel, you stay away from the devious, sloppily-coded, so-easily-corruptible tentacles of JavaScript.

Then again, I'm trying to make sense of a statement which obviously didn't have that intent...
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote