View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #54
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Yup, I was just about to say the same thing. It's also referred to as split leather or bicast/bycast leather. So the backing is leather, and it has a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface, which is then embossed with a leather pattern. It's typically used on shoes and purses to give them a glossy look.

But I can tell you that this cover is far from glossy. It has the exact same surface feel and sheen as my official K4 cover. I just handed this cover to my husband to examine, and he believes it's real leather.

Also, I noticed the center part (the hinge) isn't glued to anything (for flexibility), so I was able to examine the side of it, like a cross-section. And I just happen to have a piece of genuine leather that I purchased for a craft project. I compared them both and the piece on the cover looks just like the genuine piece. And looking at the edge (cross-section) I definitely don't see any polyurethane layer.

So I'm pretty sure this thing is real leather. But I'm really interested to hear what everyone else thinks when they get theirs.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote