Thread: Literary We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I've finished and I liked the book very much. The author did a great job of characterising the mood of the uniformed people in the United State that kills all individuality. I can imagine that after the October Revolution there has been a lot of discussion among the Russian people how their society will develop now, what it will mean in reality when all men are free and equal and the owners of their state. Zamyatin showed great visionary with his warning book here.

As most of the topics are already discussed here I like to mention only some minor side points.

- I really liked the love story/triad between I and O and D and the opposition of sincere and, yes, boring love on the one side and sexual attraction and calculation on the other. Some things never change and happened in Russia in 1920 and in our days and most probably in a thousand years too.

- Okay, it was not the aim of the book to paint the world in 1000 years with all the technical progress but in my mind the author didn't show great imagination for all the technical progress that might happen.

- I sometimes thought that the plot has some little holes. At least I wondered about the relative amount of freedom of D who could visit the old house and overstep the walking hours without any problems or sanctions. It contradicted a little bit the general mood of surveillance and restricted actions, but otherwise was necessary to develop the story.

Last edited by Billi; 11-25-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: sorry, mixed D and R
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote