View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Speaking of the Library.

I use to be selective when looking for e-books.

This meant long waiting list while I waited for my selects to free up.

Now I use "Advance Search" and I target my language and format as well as the gendre but I now ask for e-books that are immediately available. I am allowed to have 10 out at a time. Once I have ten out I will then immediately download them and start sampling each. If I feel that I will enjoy reading them I will hang on to the ebook. If I feel that I will not read it I throw it back a.s.a.p. Thus freeing up a selection that I can re-fill by continuing my search.

You are permitted to return an e-book if done within a short period of time after downloading it. This allows one to check out other authors without dwindling your available quota and having to wait till the whole lending period is finished before selecting a replacement. I came across this by accident.

I have heard people talking about using the Library but AFAIK no one has mentioned this ability.

John

How to "Return" a recently selected e-book.

I use my overdrive connection to my local Library.

Do my searches and pre-select what I feel I will like to read.
Once I have 10 (my max including e-books already out) I go through the check-out process and download each one immediately via Adobe's ADE software.

When the e-book has finished downloading, ADE present it to you in the "Open" mode where you can read it.

I then do a quick scan to see if the selection perks my interest. If so, I jump to my Internet browser connection to my Library selections and download the next e-book for review.

If I do not think I will like the freshly downloaded e-book - I back out to the "My Library" option of ADE and using my mouse I select the book that I just had open and and click in the top left corner of the icon of the e-book. A drop down action list appears. If it is still valid you will see the option to "Return the selection". This remove the e-book from your Borrowed list but does not delete the e-book from the "My Digital Editions" folder under "My Documents".

Once you return the e-book you cannot re-open the copy that still resides in the ADE library folder so you should delete it manually. If you delete the e-book from the "Borrowed" bookshelf instead of "Returning it" it will still be registered as "Out on loan" to your account and it will occupy one of your quota slots.

Note: If you accidently delete a library e-book before it's due time you can still go back to your Library account and re-download it until.

If you ever wonder about the status of an e-book residing in the "My Digital Editions" folder under "My Documents" just click on the e-book. If it is valid it will pop up in ADE. If it is invalid ADE will advise you.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 11-23-2010 at 11:34 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote