View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
I predict touchscreen all the way. The market seems to have decided that's what it wants to buy - and use to impress friends. Maybe 10% or less (I am one) like the physical keypad and realize its advantages. Everyone else is gaa-gaa over touchscreens right now.
I'm not sure that is a correct statement. There are most likely way more ereaders out there with keyboards than with touchscreens. Although few companies have released numbers of devices they have sold, we can infer some things from sales of ebooks. Many of the major publishing houses claim as much as 2/3 of their ebook sales are through Amazon and/or are in mobi format. That tends to suggest a LOT more Kindles than non-Kindle ereaders.

I think the touchscreens catch the attention of non-ereader types who keep technology blogs and thus report on new stuff, and not very accurately at that. Ever Tom, Dick, and Harry has a technology blog these days, and unfortunately few of these bloggers are professional or reliable. Even the so-called professional sites publish questionable reviews and material. I suspect reality is much different than what is painted for us in most of these blogs. I personally look at most technology blogs and sites in the same dim light that I do news tabloids--that is, they are not reliable and are usually biased.