View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Hi GeoffC, thanks for your feedback:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Looks interesting with a lot of work gone into it - (for USA only - prices in $ )

[ps If you can see to getting rid of here're in your spiel I, for one, would be grateful]
USA prices in $: I don't think I can address this in a general way immediately, but I would like to greatly improve the flexibility of the pricing and where-to-buy functionality in the future.

"Here're": Sorry, fixed.

Hi Dulin's Books, thanks for the feedback:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
The PocketBook IQ 701 doesnt have working TTS yet but the PocketBook 602, 603, 902 and 903 do. And they are daylight readable.

Also the Onyx Boox 60 A Series and X series have TTS and are daylight readable. Also have wacom stylus for note taking and have handwriting recognition
The PocketBook IQ is listed as having TTS but with a "con" note that it is coming soon. I agree that this is misleading and have changed it to not having TTS with a "pro" note that it's coming soon.

I will add the 602, 603, 902, 903, and Onyx Boox 60 A Series and X series as TTS capable and daylight readable when I add coverage of those ereaders. Thank you for the corrections and additions.

Hi delphin, I appreciate the feedback and the time your reply must have taken -- just wish it came with more constructive intent:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
I think this site is shilling for Amazon.
HowToDecide is just getting started. I'm sorry that your favorite ereader was not among the first 11 that I chose to include, but I did ask for requests for additions. The PRS-650 is a fine ereader, and I should add coverage for it soon, I agree.

Quote:
That's why he was Soooooo careful to ignore the MOST prominent feature of the Sony Touch Edition, as well as all the Android based Touch Screen readers like the Pocket Book IQ 701 and B&N Nook Color - A super friendly full screen touch screen interface.
I agree that there should be a factor for touch screen input. I will add that.

Quote:
Other important, but 'inconvient', criteria were also left out. For example, based on the large number of questions on this forum, the ability to check out Library e-books using Overdrive is VERY IMPORTANT to a significant percentage of prospective buyers, but suspiciously (and quite conveniently for Amazon), this important evaluation criteria was left out.
But there is, in fact, a factor for that: Does the ereader support ebook borrowing from libraries?

Quote:
Also, VERY suspiciously, the incredibly popular Sony PRS-650 and PRS-950 do not show up at all.
I will make it a priority to add coverage for the Sony PRS-650 and PRS-950. No slight intended -- just a result of my design decision to publish early, get feedback, and iterate.

Quote:
So I recommend that folks steer clear of this site - it's a JOKE.
A bit harsh, and contrary to what I've heard from others elsewhere, but I'll take that as a challenge to try to win you around via improvement.

Quote:
Does the reader have a user friendly GUI interface?

BEST - Daylight readable e-ink with full-screen touch screen

Sony PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-950

Good - Full screen Touch Screen using conventional TFT LCD with bright LED back-light

Nook Color, Apple IPAD, Pocket Book IQ 701, etc (and most other Android tablets)

Acceptable - Partial touch screen, or touch pad

Original e-ink Nook

Worst - Clunky Primitive 'Alt-Key' type Keyboard interface

All Kindles
These concerns will be addressed by adding coverage of the Sony PRS-650 and PRS-950 ereaders and adding a factor for touch-screens.

Quote:
Are the built in features that are provided, like the built in MP3 player, well executed or a poorly executed?
I can add a factor for MP3 player quality. This is admittedly not one that I anticipated would be a priority for ereader users.

Quote:
Does the reader force the user to purchase all mainstream DRM protected titles from a single source, or does it allow them to be borrowed or purchased from other sources?

BEST - Both the e-reader and the supplied PC or Mac software fully support purchasing titles in a standard format from multiple sources, as well as checking out e-book titles electronically from thousands of libraries around the world that support 'Overdrive' services. The Manufacturer's online e-book store also sells to users of other manufactures e-book reader hardware.

Sony PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-950, Kobo Reader, Google Android Devices.

Good - The e-reader is able to read titles purchased using Adobe ADE from a variety of online sources, and able to read free library titles checked out using Overdrive, but titles purchased through the Manufacturer's online e-book store can not yet be read by users of Adobe ADE compatible e-book reader devices from other manufactures.

B&N Nook and Nook Color

WORST - Mainstream DRM protected e-book titles are ONLY available from the manufactures online e-book store, and that e-book store does not sell e-book titles that can be read on e-book readers from other manufactures. No support for checking out FREE EPUB library books.

All Amazon Kindles
As I mentioned, there is already a factor for borrowing from libraries that covers (and mentions) OverDrive's services. A separate factor might be needed to cover the rest of your suggestion...

Perhaps: "From where may ebooks be purchased for the ereader," with possible values of the major sellers of ebooks? Suggestions for the major ebook sellers list (or further refinement of the factors themselves) are welcome.

In the meantime, I will work to add the Sony PRS-650 and PRS-950 alternatives (across all factors) and add a new factor regarding touch screen input. I'll post when those changes are completed.

Thank you for the feedback, delphin, and I hope to have a chance to win you over in the future.