View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #278
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I see on Amazon's web page today that they claim "We added more than 75,000 books in just the last five months." Sony have added only 16,000 books in that time. There are days when I just want to throw my Reader into the nearest dumpster.

Honestly? So what?

Unless you are obsessed with a "Mine's bigger than yours!" competition based on who has more ebooks, this is pointless. The question is "Are the books you want available for your reader?" If they are, you don't care how many more books may be available for a competing reader.

And sheer numbers don't tell the story. Consider that "I want to read this book in a Kindle edition" button on Amazon.com. If enough people click that button to make Amazon decide it's worth doing, what happens? In many cases, the book doesn't have a proper electronic version available, so the Kindle edition is produced by scan and OCR of a hard copy, but without any copy editing or proofreading, so the quality of the ebook version leaves a great deal to be desired. Are those books something to feel lacking about?

Your concerns should be "Can I get the books I want to read?" and "Will my device manufacturer remain in the business and continue to support my device?" I can't comment on the first, since I don't know what you read, but the answer to the second seems to be a resounding yes.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote