View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #110
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
A solution (for large images crashing the reader) could be for a plugin to 'convert' all images (over a certain size) to 16 or 256 colors, if possible. :nudge: :nudge:

The (limited) 4 MB internal memory seems to be the culprit with reader resets.
Do you think that this would help? Because in the end, I think that everything has to be rendered as a grayscale bitmap image (the screen display needs it) then it doesn't matter how many colors the input has, the output memory requirements may be the killing [pun intended] factor.

Some more things to try out: use imagemagick or Irfanview or <tool-of-choice> to actually do the conversion and see if it makes a difference. Also, does the format matter? i.e. GIF vs PNG vs JPG -- if you can convert all images to one format and see if using one results in less crashes i.e. less memory use, then it'd make more sense to develop a plugin that would resize the image to the 1150's display size and save in the least-memory-consuming format. I really wish I had that 1150 with me to test all this...
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote