View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #19
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
There have? I tend to read on my phone or tablet when going to bed at night, reading on an eInk screen requires, at least in my case, not only a reading light but also ambient light. Since I often fall asleep while reading I prefer the Android devices, they turn themselves off after a certain time of inaction. The light stays on until I wake up. Hence, I'm interested in what you say about sleep patterns and health. Any links?
Yep, they sure have. I see reports regularly. Look at this one (I posted a link to it yesterday.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...831-254fh.html

Some people might have no problem, other have chronic insomnia that is being linked to using a computer, watching a TV or reading on a tablet. Reading a conventional book - or on an eReader - does not create the problem. I had several years of difficulty sleeping - diagnosed as Narcolepsy at one stage - all of which disappeared when the sleep clinic I was referred to stopped me using any device that actually emitted light (for at least three hours) before attempting to sleep. The effect was instant, and for me almost magical. Using a computer or watching TV has become such a ubiquitous part of our lives that many never consider it to be a problem.

Insomnia among children has become almost epidemic in some demographics, but not among those who do not have access to devices with screens, or who are not allowed to watch TV until bedtime. As I said, it isn't everyone, but for those who do have difficulty sleeping, avoiding light emitting screens can solve a lot of problems. Ever noticed how many very young children nowadays have bags under their eyes?

Last edited by DarkScribe; 09-04-2012 at 05:18 AM.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote