View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
That's waaay over the top. It's downright Draconian. Downloading a file is a slap on the wrist offense at worst.

I'm against pirating, but really only if it de-motivates creative people from providing the array of books, tv shows, movies, apps, and other content I enjoy. Being something of a media junkie, I'm selfishly in favor of whatever keeps the most content coming. But it's not clear to me that illegal downloading actually leads to diminished content creation. In fact, you could argue the opposite in many cases.

There's no way jail time or a large fine is an appropriate punishment for a couple of mouse clicks, if it's for personal use. A small fine or loss of internet for a time, maybe, though I'm far from sold on that either. Actual piracy, that involves selling content you have no right to sell, i.e. selling burned CDs on the street corner, is of course another matter entirely. I'm fine with jail time for that.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote