View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that this most likely applies to (at least) all of the Pearson Technology Group publishers (I can make that 'definite' for Adobe Press and Peachpit Press):

Quote:
A division of Pearson Education, Pearson Technology Group (PTG) represents the publishing industry's leading imprints for authoritative and cutting edge technical and professional information. PTG publishes thousands of computer and technology titles per year and includes the publishing imprints of Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, Peachpit Press, Prentice Hall Professional, Que, and Sams. Pearson Technology Group has corporate publishing alliances with Adobe Systems, Apple, Cisco Systems, Sun, and IBM.
I have pointed this issue out at least 3 times, and they are always responsive and 'understanding' in refunding the sales tax collected but that is not the point. Whoever does their backend services should be fired if they can't make the shopping cart work correctly. It has to cost them a lot of money every time they have to manually process refunds, not to mention impairing customer relations. And please: if any of you purchase books with them and are California residents, please take them to task.

The 'DRM free, multiformat' $9.99 deals of the week are such that I'm not going to stop purchasing direct (even when it means requesting refunds) but I wish they would get it together.

Of course they also sell print books (formerly known as 'real' books) and those are taxed in CA. But anybody collecting sales tax here should know non physical sales are not taxable.

I've been meaning to take it up with Apple for the same thing. They charge sales tax on developer subscriptions for CA residents. Again, this is 'digital goods' so it seems it should not be taxed (or the sales tax rules are more complicated than what is published by
CA board of equalization).

These are big companies, they should know better and care more.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote