View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #71
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Ultra Power Save uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You're just trying to justify your new toy.

Tablets are not going to be obsolete any time soon. Will a lot of people not buy them in the coming years? Yes, that is already beginning to happen. When you have a phone with a 5-inch+ screen, there is no need for a tablet, except for special case use. Plus, when you buy the first one, it is hard to justify an upgrade when it works perfectly okay still.

The standby is impressive, but then why exactly did you pay all that money to have a smartphone, if you're going to just use it like that?
I use the Ultra Power Save Mode on the S5 in the same manner I use Airplane Mode with the PW and HDX - to save battery power. When I actually use them (less than 60 minutes per day), I turn those modes off.

So far the S5 has the largest screen which will still fit in my pocket. I understand that the iPhone 6s will probably be larger but it has not yet been released. The Amazon Smart Phone will also probably be larger. However, size must be balanced between the largest viewing screen still able to be placed in one's pocket. Its a tough compromise for all these vendors until they get fully flexible devices which can be folded.

Actually, my main use of the S5 is as a tablet and camera. I rarely make phone calls or text with it. I used to carry a pocket camera the same size as the S5 but now just store it. I can see Amazon coming out in the Fall with a new Kindle Fire with the 5" size (PW = 6" and HDX = 7") in two models: one with phone and texting capabilities and one without them. In the past I could only bring my PW and HDX if my wife was with me and carried them in her pocketbook.

By the way, there is a line of Samsung H6400 LED Smart TV's with which this S5 is melded. I intend to upgrade all my TV's to these new ones and my S5 will fit into all their control mechanisms. Again, the PW and HDX do not have those capabilities.

The big problem even with this great device is obsolescence in MONTHS. I just saw this on the internet today:

"Samsung’s “premium Galaxy S5″ continues to be talked about in rumors and leaks, with a new report from the Korean media suggesting that the Galaxy S5 Prime could be launched in June. A report from Asia Today cites industry sources as saying that the Prime variant will sport a QHD (2560×1440) display, something that has been a part of every rumor surrounding the device, and that Samsung will be focusing on European and American markets to sell its ultra-premium next big thing."

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-28-2014 at 01:57 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote