View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I like the 7" too, however...

The addition of a camera would 1) add weight and 2) increase the cost. The reason so many of us purchased the Fire was precisely for its form factor (small, lightweight) at an inexpensive price. Adding any more features will raise the price and put the Fire in another category altogether.
I'm inclined to agree. I find the KF a near perfect content consumption device. What it is NOT is a tool for photography. Neither, by the way, is my iPad. If I want a quick snapshot I use my phone. If I want a photo to save for posterity I use a...what's it called?....oh, yeah...a CAMERA. Furthermore, Furthermore, beyond quick notes and email management, the KF is simply not well designed for content creation.

Furthermore, I'm skeptical that Amazon can compete successfully in the pure "tablet" product category space. (In this case tablet means a 9"-10" screen, bluetooth support for peripherals, and other features designed to support content creation.)

I say that because as formidable as Amazon is, it is neither a computer hardware manufacturer nor a software development firm. The infrastructure necessary for development and support of cutting edge devices in this product space goes far beyond what Amazon currently has in place.

In addition, once Amazon moves into that marketplace, their central business objective for the entire Kindle line is undermined. Devices like the iPad and full-fledged Android tablets are not so singularly focused on selling digital content. And for that reason Apple and other tablet manufacturers must make a significant profit on the device, itself. If Amazon wants to play in that space, they will have to change their business model to reflect that same need.

All in all, I'd like to see Amazon move cautiously and incrementally in terms of adding new devices to the kindle line. They did a great job of making the KF an enhanced version of the Kindles that already existed. I think that's the proper strategy as they go forward.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote