View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I don't really see the point of it, either from a writer/publisher perspecive or from a reader perspective. All it does is make pirated books more convenient and easy to use, and punishes people who decide to support the publishers financially.
The point from a publisher perspective is protecting content from unauthorized distribution. That it is of dubious value is not something many publishers have realized. I don't believe the reader's perspective is considered, unless the DRM applied makes the buyer jump through enough hoops to be able to purchase and read the book that they complian to the publisher.

(I spoke to a woman at a New York City ebook event a while back who was an ebook romance publisher. She agreed that DRM was ultimately doomed to failure, but used it because her authors demanded it. They were afraid they would lose sales if buyers could freely copy and share it once purchased, which I thought was an interesting view of their readers.)

Quote:
Just out of interest, does anyone know how much of an ebook's RRP goes to pay for DRM? Is it something that is licensed so they pay every time they use it, or do they just have to buy a program once and that's it?
DRM technology is present in the software that is used to create the ebook. They buy the program once. And they may not even buy the program: the MobiPocket Creator software used to produce Mobi editions includes DRM facilities you can choose to apply when you make the boom, but Mobi Creator is free.

So no, use of DRM does not add to the cost of producing the book.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote