View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #60
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Sad to hear of those problems. I start with a warning: I would not yet consider this software to be a good solution for production use, at least not yet, in its current state. It's working to some extent and it has a published code base that allows anyone with the skills to work on it. And for the technically advanced, it might provide enough to be useful.

That said, I think doing a video tutorial is not a good approach to this. First, I do not think that messing with your Kindle to run native apps like this one is a good idea if you do not know what you're actually doing. Even copy & paste isn't always without risks. One small unforeseen glitch and your device ends up bricked in the worst case. I consider this risk to be immense when it comes to video tutorials.

Then there's another problem: there isn't a single right way to do this, there are many ways. Each of them might make sense depending on what you focus on.

However, there's a basic outline:
- jailbreak
- install launchpad
- install (i.e. copy) kindlevncviewer
all of these are documented within this forum.

Then:
- set up vnc server on your OS of choice. There are plenty of vnc servers out there. Probably easiest is to forward your current PC display with "x11vnc" (but mind that the display resolutions will probably differ). You could also use a dedicated VNC-X11-Server like realvnc, tightvnc & co, but you will probably not want that until - someday - kindlevncviewer supports input, too...

I'm sorry that I cannot offer the capacity to do a full hands-on guide. Maybe someone else will jump in, but it's always hard to write proper documentation. And this especially goes for documentation that shall not expect related knowledge.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote