View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Actually, as I understand it, DMCA takedown notices are intended for taking down the sites actually hosting violating content. I'm not hosting anything - rather, I am providing links to commonly used sites, and a general purpose mechanism (OPDS catalog compatibility) to let my users get at any book catalog on the internet. Honestly, I think that LitRes' tactics are a bit like going after Google, because "they provide a way that people could use to find the flibusta site" or going after Mozilla because "you can use the Firefox browser to look at stolen material".
Google receives millions of DMCA takedown notices per week to remove links to copyrighted material.[0]
Mozilla doesn't, because they don't link to infringing sites.
A mechanism to allow users to enter their own OPDS URLs would not be a problem, even if they chose to link to an infringing site. Having the app pre-populated with a link to an infringing site is a problem.

0: http://www.google.com/transparencyre...als/copyright/
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote