View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Scott McCloud's comments about using crosshatching on webcomics are included in his "10 Suggestions for First-Time WebComics Artists."

I wanted to get opinions on a couple of his suggestions.

1 - He suggests orienting online comics to the typical screen size, but I'm hoping these will eventually be read on ebook readers. My thought was (possibly) to switch to landscape pages, but I really like the traditional Manga look. Thoughts?

2 - He suggests taking advantage of web features, including sound, motion, interactivity, expanded canvas, and hypertext. But I'm really more interested in offering a traditional manga format, for the most part, and again, I see these as being made available in PDF or some other ebook reader friendly format at some point, which might not support these extra features very easily. The only one that I'm tempted by is hypertext. I'm planning to use quite a few Japanese phrases in my story, particularly in forms of address and politeness phrases, which often simply don't translate well. I could use an asterisk and put the definition below the panel, in the old-fashioned printed way, or I could underline the phrase and make a hyperlink. What do you folks think?

And thank you all again for your suggestions and encouragement!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote