View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #30
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Where is the actual difference between a libary and the internet?
The way a website is build up is usually very different to the way a book is build up. What exactly the implications are is open, but it is IMHO undeniable that there is a difference in the information markup, and it does change something/anything.

Quote:
Wether you work better in a library or with the internet is just a matter of personal habits not of technology.
What about working *in* a library *with* the internet?

Quote:
Libraries are already outdated technically - we need to adopt to the internet.
Not yet, when digitalisation and e.g. the iLiad advances it might get less important. If its outdated, why do I need so often to go to the university library to borrow some book? But it will IMHO never get "outdated" per se. Its never like that new technologies really completly write over old ones, without them finding any niche to continue existing. When Gutenberg developed his printing machine, did handwritting get outdated? Or do we handwrite still today? Of course, it hasn't got the importance it had pre-gutenberg, but I do handwrite ;-) Same with the newspaper over the book. TV over radio. Internet over TV. And so on.

Quote:
And we need to teach our children to do this as well.
Indeed.

Quote:
They learn the usage themselves - but neither the ethics, nor the filter technics, nor anything else. This we have to teach them...
Also this is 100% true.

I have to confess, back in school years, on book presentations, instead of just giving my views of the book, I did look it up in the library in some lexicon about books, and filtered some of the concluding that obviously couldn't be from me, but presented the others as my work.... However I never, ever would have thinked about transcribing anything word by word, even when copy/paste wasn't even invented yet.

This relies also on the practical thinking, my teacher would have easily differentiated any sentence that came out of my head, by any sentence I transcribed from a book. Maybe thats also an issue, why is the content on the internet the kids copy/paste in a language thats not differentiable to the writing of a kid? :-)

But indeed, I knew of a story of a little kid, when challenged he cannot copy/paste stuff from the internet, he answered. Why? Its everything free, I can navigate there just as easily.

Yes, they do need to learn, its not free. And its not okay to present any others words as his own.

This is an aspect thats still troublesome on the university now. How often do I have to watch other students presentations, with the usually task to present some paper, selected chapter(s) of a classic book etc., and I ask myself when hearing it. Do they communicate well, what are their thoughts/ideas and what are the authers? Or do those get mixed up in a complete mess. Or worse beside the title slide, I sometimes get the feeling somehow they describe the content as their work, as their opinions, instead of someone elses work/views they studied...

Last edited by axel77; 06-11-2008 at 10:45 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote