View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #104
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I was (un)lucky when growing up. There was not much translated SF available (my preferred genre), less than 200 books altogether. Books were cheap, everybody could afford them - but not everybody could get them. Good ones were always sold out (and even the library had waiting list).
While I wouldn't have been caught dead with "Kapital", I had no problems with reading some bestseller in public. I don't think 'book snobism' even entered my mind, if anything, then 'envy' ("You want it, but I was lucky to get it.")

When I could understand english paperbacks, I chose to interpret the looks I got in the bus as 'Wow, english!' (if I noticed them at all.) Some people at work used to ask: "Do you understand what you're reading?", happened so often that I developed a standard answer: "No, I look at the pictures."
Plus, english paperbacks are nice size to carry around.

If it's a choice between enjoying myself and running the risk someone's disapproval, I always choose me. Life is too short.

I love Bujold. When I finished Shards of Honor I thought that it was the best romance I'd read for some time.
Nowadays I read everything: biography, romance, thriller, SF & F ... mostly SF & F. And I really hate how marketing tries to make the covers 'respectable'. Who wants black cover with some interweaved rings on the fantasy book!?
travger is offline   Reply With Quote