View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
The case of the missing TOC

Is it my imagination, or are there more indie Kindle books than there used to be without cover or table of contents?

Cover art is not essential. I personally like to have a "proper" cover - a good one can give you a feel for the story and the author before you begin, but I can see that none at all might be better than a poor one. Still, these books always manage to have a cover on their Amazon page, so why not in the book itself?

A table of contents, I would have thought, is essential (unless you have no chapters at all). At the moment I am reading a historical novel which does have a contents page, but bizarrely no hyperlinks. This is especially annoying because there are several appendices and a list of characters which I would like to refer to while I am reading. Tracking them down and bookmarking them is a real pain.

The Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines are clear that cover image and TOC are mandatory (though inevitably Amazon do nothing to enforce this - if only...). Are authors starting to use formatting systems that do not provide them, or are they just being lazy?
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote