View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
honeyrose
honeyrose began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Cannot use Calibre 0.7.42 with Win XP Pro

I am a new Kindle owner and thought I would download Calibre. The software downloaded OK onto my PC - or seemed to. However when I open the program, it takes a long time to load, then displays what I take to be the main Calibre desktop screen (icons for options along top toolbar with version 0.7.42 at the bottom of the screen) and an image of a book on the right saying underneath Calibre Quick Guide by Jim Schember, format epub, click to open.

Clicking to open does not work, whether I click on either the book or its title, this just brings up the Win File Folder screen with two icons, one with the book title, the other called metadata.op. When I click on the book title I get a Windows error message saying Unknown file format.

I decided to ignore the Quick Guide and just use the options along the top of the opening Calibre screen (add, convert etc) but they just take me round the same loop - icons with Quick Guide and metdata titles appear and then an unknown file format message.

I am running a standard version of Win XP pro in administrator mode and have no problems downloading anything else. Is this a bug in XP Pro?

Hope someone can help
Honeyrose
honeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote