View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #53
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock96 View Post
I can't re-read books, soon as I either pull one out or start thinking about doing so I'll remember most of the jist of the story and then I put it back.
Ditto. I'm often astounded at how clearly it all comes back to me when I try to re-read certain books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But the story is not the interesting part. The journey is. A good book you should be able to re-read event if you remember every detail.
If I remember every detail (or even most), reading it becomes something akin to deja vu. And for me, at least, deja vu is not comfortable. It doesn't feel to me like visiting old friends or taking a trip to a favorite place. It's more like visiting an old haunt, finding all your friends still there, drunk and telling the same stories they were telling last time you stopped by.

The only books I enjoy re-reading are long, rather involved tomes with lots of details and such. For example, The Stand by Stephen King. Even then, It has to be 7 or 8 years between readings for me to enjoy it again. The same is true for some series, like Anne Rice's Vampire / Mayfair chronology (two separate but somewhat intersecting series).

I also rarely re-watch movies, for the same reason.

But one of the great things about reading is that it's primarily an individual pursuit, and there's no one right way or wrong way to enjoy reading (or re-reading). We can all do as we like.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote