View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #50
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I re-read a LOT as a child, probably because I was limited to what was on hand, as I was only likely to be taken to the city library once every couple of weeks.

Book I read most as a child: Swiss Family Robinson. Bet I read it 50 times. I read it so much that I've never read it again as an adult! Treasure Island was also popular, as was anything by Jules Verne. Loved and still love Bagnold's National Velvet and O'Hara's My Friend Flicka series.

Another that was hit hard as a child, but is still being read occasionally is my now wretched and quite rare paperback copy of Kin Platt's Sinbad and Me.

Also hit the Hardy Boys up hard, since Dad had a set, likewise for Leo Edwards' Jerry Todd and Poppy Ott series. The latter I have also enjoyed an occasional read of as an adult, they are too funny!

As I got a little older, other favorite re-reads were David Copperfield, The Secret Garden and my grandmother's copy of The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody, all of which are still on the bookshelves here. Also loved Mowat's The Dog Who Wouldn't Be.

And anything mystery. Mom had this set of little red books that were full of mysteries, Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie were the ones I re-read most.

In high school, LOTR, Dune, Anna Karenina, The Once and Future King were all favorites that I read many times. Gone with the Wind is another. Rissa Kerguelen (omnibus) was another with many reads.

Later, McCaffrey's Dragonriders, Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave Arthurian series.

Currently very fond of Elizabeth George's Lynley and Havers series and Laurie R King's Mary Russell series. I can re-read any of those, did the whole Lynley series again just last year.

Gads, it is scary how much I read! And I fit in new stuff all the time too. I don't re-read quite as much as an adult, but I sure still do it!

Oh, and for the romance category, where I don't generally do a ton of reading, I have a re-read favorite there as well, Jennifer Crusie's Faking It.

Sadly, even after this list, I know I am forgetting some.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote