View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
I do have a question for any of you who tried both the 6" and 5" models. The spec says 6" model has 4 levels of grayscale as opposed to 8 levels in the 5" pocket pro. I will mainly use this for read text, I read somewhere that says 4-level is even better than 8 or 16 levels as the text will appear darker, if anyone have seen/used both the 6" and 5", can you compare and let me know which screen has better contrast or they are virtually identical?
The number of gray scales (6" has 4, 5" has 8) is correct. I have both and in practice I don't see much difference for text. I like to use heavy fonts though, and that may reduce the difference. There have been threads on a lack of contrast on the Pocket Pro (e.g. My suggestions on getting the device to look blacker.) but the fix, if any is needed, is to change the font. To do this on DRMed ePubs you would first need to remove the DRM (encryption).

The 8 gray scales helps for images, but a 6" screen gives you a bigger picture, so this is mostly a wash. The 6" is old technology, but it is "good enough" for reading ebooks and it has been around so long that there are more firmware options than with the 5". Even though they have a similar layout, I think the Pocket Pro looks better proportioned. Overall, it is tough to choose between them. I switched back from the Pocket Pro to the Basic because the latter runs OpenInkPot firmware, which I like a lot. If OpenInkPot was ported to the Pocket Pro, I would probably switch back to it - but I don't feel limited by the Basic.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote