View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #509
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
right. metric and patterns help memorization
though poetry isn't about metric and rhymes

when I said poetry being from "the gut", I meant only the (largest) subgenre of lyrical poetry

hey, finally some nice discussion here about poetry. better than more lame series
The old rhymes did help to preserve knowledge in past generations though. i.e. 30 days hath September... and so forth. In fact the old minstrels would sing the news as they went through an area (I understand) as it was easier to remember things accurately that way. That and things like murals and stained glass windows were the education of the common man back before books were easy to mass produce thanks to Gutenberg's printing press. That's when the narrative poem began it's decline I think. Who needs someone to sing the old poems when you could pick up a book (or newspaper) and read the text yourself? Though I bet some of the early print poublishers probably thought some of the books they were printing were rubbish back then too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote