View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 03:21 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I finally realized I was trying too hard, I didn't like the way it handled 'titles' and 'subtitles' in the headers & footers, so I spent a lot of time trying to deal with getting the right stuff to display (for instance, David Weber likes to use "* * *" to mark jumps between story lines, and it wanted to treat them like titles, and put that text in the footer), I finally realized that I don't like the header & footer in the first place, and turned them off. Problem solved.
Hi Nat,

As you say, BD has a habit of treating any word that's on a line by itself (such as "* * *") as a title, which has three undesirable effects:

1. It forces a page break at that point, if you have "page breaks" enabled in the options (which is a good idea, but not for this!).

2. It appears in the TOC, which is very undesirable.

3. If you have footers enabled (as I do), it'll appear in the footer.

There's a very easy to find and fix all these. Simply select "Tools/Element Browser", make sure "Titles" is selected, and click the "Find" button. You'll get a list of everything that's been given the "Title" style and you can instantly see what shouldn't be one. If you click on something in the list, BD will take you to it, and will highlight the text. If it shouldn't be a title, simply select the "Paragraph" style for it and then if you still want it to appear "centred" (as for your "* * *", for example), select "Format/More Transformations/Align: center" to centre it.

It's a good idea to at least get the "Title" style right because they are what form the TOC, and having a TOC without garbage in it is useful. It also means that you can usefully switch on footers, and get chapter names at the bottom of the page, which personally I find very useful (having the book name in a header just seems like a complete waste of space - I know what book I'm reading!).

Hope that's of some help to you. "Element Browser" is one of BD's many "hidden treasures" which make it so much easier to use!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote