View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #38
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
<baffled>

My planned strategy with the K2 was to order a book, DL to the K2, read it, then store it on the computer to keep my Kindle-bound books down to a reasonable number.

I thought I would then load the book back from the computer to the K2 if I wanted to re-read.

(Assume here a book purchased for cash money from Amazon, not a freebie or Gutenberg or equiv.)

So, if I remove a book from the K2 and store it on the computer, I will _not_ be able to reload it in a readable form back on the K2?

I would then have to either re-purchase the book, re-download from Amazon, or remove the existing file's DRM?

Do I have this scenario correct?

thx!

Don
No. That story was so poorly worded I'm not surprised at all that you're confused. You will be able to copy that file back to that Kindle from your computer. You would also be able to reload it from Amazon for that Kindle. The issue comes from the fact that each book has a set number of licenses, usually 6, sometimes fewer. The publisher gets to set that number. Sadly Amazon isn't at all transparent about letting you know how many copies you get of a given title. There are people who have now run out of licenses on some of their books because they've already been copied to the maximum number of devices.

Your Kindle has a unique ID called a PID. When you bought that book, it registered one license to that PID. The book file you have is encrypted using that PID. If you tried to take that file and copy it over to another Kindle, that Kindle wouldn't be able to open it because it has a different PID. If you registered that second Kindle to your account, you could download a copy for it. That uses another one of your licenses. Some people have multiple Kindles, or they've upgraded and gotten rid of their old one, or they've added iPhones to their account, or they've had to return a Kindle. If they downloaded books to all of these, they could easily have exhausted the licenses for some of them. Fortunately, as SirBruce said, Amazon will free up licenses for you if you contact them an explain that you no longer have the devices that you registered for them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote